Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Not Another Bitch


'Not another bitch,' I thought as she climbed in.

She scowled as she struggled to bring five cloth bags into the taxi.

She snapped out a destination a few block away and then added, "they're too heavy to carry up the hill."

"No reason you should have to," I said, warming up to her implied apology. "How you doin today?"

"I'm doin' horribly," she blurted out, suddenly crying. "I broke up with my boyfriend - he'd never tell he loved me. Then he told me when he dumped me."

I drove along for a few minutes listening to her tying unsuccessfully to hold back her sobs. Then I said, "you're a very pretty woman and there are a lot of men in the world."

It was true. She looked like Natalie Portman.

She climbed out smiling at me with gratitude through her tears.

This marked one of the few times that I've ever told a woman exactly what she wanted and needed to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment