Monday, August 17, 2009

Class Warfare


Two women try to hail a cab: one in her early twenties, the other in her sixties; one open and friendly, the other closed and sour; both wearing haunt couture; both with the same nose, chin and eyes: granddaughter and grandmother.

It's rush hour and there's a major convention in town. They're standing in front of Vidal Sassoon but the cabs racing by are all full. The women are becoming desperate.

I'm not working but I decide to help. I feel that improving our image is my personal duty, besides the older woman's nearing hysteria. I walk over to them, give them a friendly smile and say, "relax -I'll get one for you."

I walk down a block. An empty taxi is rolling toward the curb. Two New Yorker guys are stepping in front of a couple from Iowa to steal it. As it stops, I step in front of them and grab it.

"Hey!" one of them says.

"Thanks for holding it," I say with a smile.

"Your mudder!" he responds, flipping me off.

I tell the driver the situation and he's cool with it so we go down to hand over the taxi.

I get out and open the door for the women with a magnanimous gesture.

The granddaughter smiles with gratitude. Grandmother looks me over with a cold eye. I'm wearing the designer sweater, shirt and slacks that a friend chose for me at Goodwill. But the old woman isn't fooled. Maybe it's the Reboks.

She holds a dollar bill out toward me.

I give her a friendly wave and a gesture of refusal.

She thrusts the bill out again, this time with an expression of hostility and distain.

Who am I to think I can be friends with her?

No comments:

Post a Comment